George III 18ct Gold and Enamel Memorial Ring - Circa 1783
• Please email us if you wish to enquire about this piece. Or you can click on the 'Chat with us' button and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
• Free domestic and international delivery with DHL Express.
Description: - A George III 18ct yellow gold and white enamel memorial mourning band ring.
The ring bears the inscription "WM:STANHOPE·ESQ:OB:12·OCT:1783·AE:73", within a white enamel band.
- "WM:" is an abbreviation for "William," which is the first name of the individual.
- "STANHOPE" is the surname of the person.
- "ESQ:" stands for "Esquire," indicating that William Stanhope was a gentleman of status, below a knight but entitled to some social standing.
- "OB:" is an abbreviation for "obiit," which is Latin for "he died."
- "12 OCT: 1783" is the date of death, October 12, 1783.
- "AE: 73" stands for "aetatis," which is Latin for "aged." The number "73" is the age of William Stanhope at the time of his death.
Therefore, the plain English translation of the inscription would be: "William Stanhope, Esquire, died on October 12, 1783, at the age of 73"
As was common for the period the ring is unhallmarked and has been tested and confirmed to be 18 carat gold fineness.
Date: - Circa 1783.
Period: - Late 18th Century.
Engraving: - The ring is unengraved.
Measurement: - UK ring size Q (leading edge). US ring size 8 (leading edge). The band measures 3.4mm in width.
Weight: - 4.8 grams.
Condition: - The ring remains in commendable condition, exhibiting only minor chips and nicks on the enamel, which are consistent with its age. Notably, there are several minor surface cracks along the inside of the gold band. These do not compromise the ring's structural integrity and appear to have originated during the initial manufacturing process. It is likely that these imperfections were caused by the accidental incorporation of foreign materials, such as dirt, into the gold during the melting phase. For a detailed assessment of its condition, please refer to the accompanying photographs.
Item No: - 2286/02_ww1.
Customs and import taxes: - Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply.